Tuesday, October 27, 2009

These Last Days

Ok - so the argument goes - but every generation since Jesus has thought they were in the last days. Maybe so, but didn't Jesus teach us to think that way? To expect His coming? That He would come quickly, in the twinkling of an eye?

Even if this generation is not witnessing THE last days, what would we do differently if we KNEW these were in fact the last days? Would I buy that latte or give the $5 bill to the homeless vet on the corner? Would I sign my Kindergartener up for basketball, or would I go buy $50 worth of food for a food pantry? Would I go buy pointless (and generally unneeded) Christmas gifts for my family both far and wide, or would I fund a pump for clean water in a small village in Africa, and let those relatives know that I did it in their name?

I've heard the exhortations to feed the hungry, clothe the naked and minister to the sick my whole life. Why now are they resonating so deeply, if these are in fact NOT the last days?

No comments:

Post a Comment